Monday, October 10, 2011

An Old Dog Remembering Old Tricks

A couple of weeks ago, Vestavia Hills Country Club was nice enough to ask me to come out and participate in their first Lunch and Learn session. It was VERY cool! Basically, I got an excellent free lunch to do what I do everyday, talk about running!! During the Q&A, a member, who happens to be a friend of mine, asks about proper running form. He’s noticed over the past few years, after watching folks in his running group and in races, everybody’s form seems to be different. So how does one know when they have proper form? It seems I’ve become rather complacent when asked this question. I answered with, what has become my default response, “You run how you run.”, and added a few tips. For some reason, that answer  really bugged me though! I couldn’t quit thinking about it after the session!!  
Coincidentally, the following week, Newton Running was at our Wednesday Night Run. The reps brought a bunch of shoes to try out on the run AND their running form expert, Ian Adamson. Ian spoke at the run and then put on a running form clinic on Thursday morning. It was about 5 steps into the high knee drills  when I realized, I REMEMBER THIS and I really need to work on my answer to our customers’ “how do I run” question!!
Back in the day, after virtually every easy run, our team would venture over to the practice football field and do a series of drills that included strides, high knees, butt kicks, bounds and my personal favorite, The Karaoke. Back then, drills just seemed like something I had to get through before hitting the ice bath. NOW, after going through them with Ian and the Newton boys, I realize not only how weak I am, especially in my core, but how much they actually help with running form!
SO, here’s the new answer! Obviously, if you are a long time runner, out of habit and muscle memory, you’ve developed a form, and if it’s working, who am I to tell you to change! However, if you are new to running, have been running forever and can’t seem to get rid of a nagging injury, or want to improve your times, add these drills to your running regimen! I know it will help!! Oh yeah, for a full demonstration, please see Scott at The Trak Shak Homewood!

1 comment:

5 Speed Runnning said...

An effective training plan focuses on both skill and energy. Skill comes from proper form and efficiency training. Energy development comes from balancing out speed, strength, stamina, and threshold workouts.

For readers who want to know more about how better form can help improve their running, this video series will help you.

Running Form Video Series>>>> http://www.TransFORM-Your-Running.com

Courtesy of Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running
Running Coach