Thursday, March 29, 2012

I got some “splainin” to do!

Now, I’d love to say I have a great excuse for not updating the blog for 3 months, and I kind of do, but I’m not going to use my perfect, happy 3 month old daughter, Libby, as an excuse! Nor am I going to blame my blogging ineptitude on being very busy in the store and with races! I’m just going to come right out and say it, I suck!! However, in an attempt to follow the recommendation for a New Year’s Resolution from our Mizuno rep, I’m trying hard not suck this year! I’m just 3 months behind!

To catch you up on my training, I wasn’t running as much toward the end of 2011. I was frequenting a spin class at Gold’s Gym. The class begins at 5:30 AM, but I got in to it so much, I was showing up at 4:30 to ride an hour before the class! I know what the “normal” of you are thinking, “4:30!!! How?” Well, I got competitive via social networking. I got this foursquare ap on my iPhone. Many of you who follow me on Facebook or Twitter are annoyed by it! It’s an ap that allows you to “Check In” at locations, give a status update, and attach photos. Yeah, it sounds just like the Facebook application, however what I found to be motivating about foursquare, it would inform me of how many days, weeks, or months in a row I had visited a location and award badges for frequency. It sounds pretty corny, but I need all the help I can get to get up at 4 AM! I think the week streak ended for me at 25! During that stretch, I was going 3 days a week to spin and running, probably 4 times a week, minimal mileage.  

Then, another “HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE” (I believe every one is entitled to as many “happiest days of their lives” as they want) happened on December 19!! Baby girl Elizabeth “Libby” Ann Martinez arrived, and as many of you know, things changed. Running and spinning take a back seat to helping out Mommy and taking care of my baby girl!

So, for a status update, all is well with Libby and the running has gotten back to consistent! In fact, I have a goal race in the Dixie 200 Relay the weekend of May 18 & 19, and as of right now, out of the 12 members, I am the weak link. The goal: DON’T BE THE WEAK LINK! I ran 25 miles last week, mostly on the road, and the shin feels pretty good!  As for the blogging, I plan to try to do better (I feel like I’ve said this before). Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Chappy said...

Get back on that horse, Jeffrey! Oh, and by the way, I'm definitely the slowest on that relay team. No worries!